Requirements for Extralabel Drug Use in Food Producing Animals
- ELDU is permitted only by or under the supervision of a veterinarian.
- ELDU is allowed only for FDA approved animal and human drugs.
- A valid Veterinarian/Client/Patient Relationship is a prerequisite for all ELDU.
- ELDU for therapeutic purposes only (animal's health is suffering or threatened). Not drugs for production use.
- Rules apply to dosage form drugs and drugs administered in water. ELDU in feed is prohibited.
- ELDU is not permitted if it results in a violative food residue, or any residue which may present a risk to public health.
- FDA prohibition of a specific ELDU precludes such use. (see Prohibited Drug List page)